The successful candidate will be associated with McMaster University’s Michael G. DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research (IIDR) and be primarily based at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton. This fellowship program will focus on academically rigorous, clinically relevant pre-analytical projects, novel and disruptive specimen collection and transport methods, molecular test development and validation, and innovative automation projects in the clinical microbiology laboratory. Projects will be supervised by medical and clinical microbiology faculty, providing the candidate with practical applied microbiology skills and opportunities for presentation and publication.
This fellowship award provides $50,000 for a 12-month period, and the McMaster University faculty supervisors (Drs. Marek Smieja and Padman Jayaratne) will provide additional benefits of approximately $10,000. The candidate will be supported to travel for presenting at national and international meetings. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be a member of the Michael G. DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research Trainee Association, allowing opportunities to present at the Annual IIDR Trainee Day, and to attend rounds and seminars in various infectious diseases-related research fields. 2018-05-01 McMaster Clinical Microbiology Post-Doctoral Fellowship
In order to be eligible for this award, candidates must:
• Have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree prior to starting fellowship training;
• Have expertise in molecular microbiology and analysis;
• Have demonstrated an exemplary academic record;
• Have demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills, with a proven track record in scientific presentation and publication.
Candidates must be Canadian citizens or permanent Canadian residents.
Please provide within your application:
• A Cover Letter demonstrating that you meet the above eligibility criteria, and describing your interest in clinical microbiology and future plans;
• A list of three academic or industry references, to be available upon request, including your PhD Supervisor if applicable (combine the above two items into a PDF file and label: LASTNAME-CoverLetter.pdf)
• A recent Resume or Curriculum Vitae (label: LASTNAME-CV.pdf); and
• Transcripts from previous and/or currently attended institutions.
Please send your complete application documents to:
Dr. Marek Smieja
Professor, Pathology & Molecular Medicine
Microbiology Discipline Director, HRLMP
Application deadline: Friday, June 29, 2018 at 11:59pm. Only complete applications received by this application deadline will be considered. A start date of Fall 2018 is anticipated. All inquiries regarding the Daniele Triva Memorial Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Diagnostic Clinical Microbiology should be forwarded to Dr. Marek Smieja at the above email.